- Why books become bestsellers?
- And how come others can’t even sell 100 copies?
- Why some books you read have passion and interest?
- And yet some books, you can’t even read up to its first 10 pages.
- What is the main difference?
The answer is simple, “choice of words”. The words used and the order how the words being used makes the difference! Basically, it does not matter if it is a website or a book, but “words matter”, so make sure to pick up the right words carefully.
So when you aim for contents that converts, try these sales copy principles.
1. Know your audience
This idea is simple. If you are writing something for your product, talk to the person directly thru your sales copy.
If you have three people to convince, you should talk differently, but most try to make a copy that talk with everybody. Do this by creating a common denominator for them.
- Create customer person, describe a certain person then give it a name.
- Imagine the person how he spends his regular day and the key issues he has.
- Having a specific person in mind will make your sales copy even much better.
2. Imagine that you are writing your colleague, friend, wife etc
Remember that you are dealing with people, so even if it is a B2B products. There is always a person that has name and identity that will be reading your sales copy and then make decisions.
Forget the social management system known as “buzzwords”, if you already know this, then why write business jargons and nonsense that will do anything good.
The most effective way to do it is using the “friend test”, re-read your sales copy and if you found words that you don’t like to use in a usual conversation with your colleague, change it.
“Human interactions are about communicating”. You don’t talk jargons when dealing with someone. Simple English will do, simplicity is beauty and complexity will only portray that you are hiding something.
3. “Compelling headline” is Gold mine so work hard for it
People skim, and they don’t read. So for you to catch their attention, make sure you got a compelling headline, and make sure it is good. If headline will not capture their attention, they will not be interested on the rest of your sales copy.
4. Creating Sales Copy that will make them think is a ‘NO’
Thinking is a hard thing, people don’t want it.
They will look at your sales copy and understand your offering, if they don’t, they just simply move on. Attaching relevant photo is a smart idea.
5. Avoid using “Exclamation marks and ALL CAPS”
Seeing lots of ALL CAPS or even bold sentences slows down interest, comprehension and reading, so avoid putting it as possible.
Also, using recognizable exclamation mark shows that you are a 12 years old kid. Exclamation mark will do nothing.
6. Readability and simplicity
If your sales copy’s readability is poor, even though how interesting it was made, people will not read it.
7. it’s not about how Long or short, it’s about information
- Test show that 79% of people don’t really read a copy, they just skim.
- On the other hand, 16% read everything.
Your main target is the 16% group, or shall we say the most interested one.
If a certain individual is not interested with your product, long or short sales copy does nothing.
But if they are interested, show them much information they need, according to a study, lack of information leads to nothing.
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Know your audience
- 2 2. Imagine that you are writing your colleague, friend, wife etc
- 3 3. “Compelling headline” is Gold mine so work hard for it
- 4 4. Creating Sales Copy that will make them think is a ‘NO’
- 5 5. Avoid using “Exclamation marks and ALL CAPS”
- 6 6. Readability and simplicity
- 7 7. it’s not about how Long or short, it’s about information